Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Saving money with Pinterest : DIY Crib rail teething covers

When I first started using Pinterest I thought everything looked like a good idea and I swore I would one day attempt some of the things I pinned, but I am not a very crafty person and I am cheap. When I walk into Michael's or any craft store and see the price of the supplies needed,  I add that to the amount of stress I will put myself through trying to make it perfect and decide just buying it premade is the best idea for me. But that doesn't stop me from spending hours pinning and imagining myself one day filling my house with all of my own creations....
Well finally it actually paid off!! Finally I took a chance....
I was in the market for crib rail teething guards and when I saw them I said, it's just a piece of fabric wrapped around the rail and tied together...that so isn't worth the $25!!! I thought to myself "there must be a DIY on Pinterest for this...so I typed in crib rail covers and I was right! hundreds of pins and finally I found one perfect for me...a "no-sew" project! I followed the link over to "It's not every day" and browsed her pictures. It seemed easy enough I just needed some fabric and batting...but then I decided to just do it my own way and I have to tell you I am pretty impressed with myself. Over all it took me less than 30 minutes to complete...and I didn't spend a dime. For the fabric I just used a baby blanket Jacob was no longer using and I skipped the batting because I do already have a "gummi rail" down from when RaeAnn used the crib, (yet another reason I didn't want to spend anymore money on a new one!) the problem I ran into was that the adhesive was failing from being 5 years old and already surviving one teething baby & Jacob enjoyed pulling it up. So really I just needed something to cover the gummi rail to prevent him from getting it all the way up and chomping on the wooded crib rails...which RaeAnn already made her mark in!


So I measured my crib rails and openings, cut the blanket into strips like it said to do in the tutorial I found on pinterest and then it was just easy peasy to tie knots and secure my cover in place, I also went the extra step to tuck up the loose strings...Jacob loves to tug on everything so i figure it would be best not to put any more distractions in his crib!!
Here are some finished pictures, one before and after I tucked the loose strings.



I also made a pretty yummy Easter cake from Pinterest this past weekend, but I won't fool you, I made a funfetti cake from a box, frosted it, and had RaeAnn  help me decorate it with peep bunnies and m&m's...it was a huge hit though, super cute!
With our big move coming up, I do plan on trying to be a little more crafty/creative...I'll be sure to post if anything turns out nice enough to post :)

4 comments:

  1. Seriously though. Crib rail teething covers are ridiculously expensive. I had to try the pinterest crib rail thing too. I ended up with one I was pretty proud of that matched little guy's room and was SO MUCH CHEAPER! Yours turned out very well, I must say!

    I also love the easter cake. It seems like a very time-consuming project. But it looks SO good. Yum! You and RaeAnn did great!

    Keep posting projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to have to keep the crib rail cover in mind! And that cake is super cute! Also...what mobile do you have? lol It looks like Matthew's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how are you doing jill? we need an update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am LONG overdue!!! I will try to update soon - I really hvae no excuses at the moment not to!! If you can't wait though, you can follow me on instagram, I've been uploading plenty of pics there! Jilliams147

    ReplyDelete