Sunday, January 6, 2013

Jacob's 1st visit to the ER

Some not so fun times this month was Jacob's first trip to the ER after falling off of our bed early one morning. He had actually slept through the night (still a very rare occurrence for him) but he woke up SOAKED. So I changed Jacob while Thurman changed his bed sheets. After I was done I saw Thurman was still having a hard time with the crib mattress so I stood up to help him and in a second Jacob crawled right off the bed and landed straight on his head.

So cliche right?! We took our eyes off him for one second, but that is all it ever takes - I know better - I hate that it happened!!!

I scooped him up so fast and he cried and cried. We could not get him to calm down and it probably didn't help that I was hysterical as well!! I was able to calm myself down long enough to lay him down and palpate his extremities to make sure nothing was broken and looked over his head for any swelling or bruising (my AF medical skills being put to good use!) He looked OK, but still wouldn't calm down. I was ready to rush him to the ER but Thurman was able to calm both of us done. And after he had a bottle he seemed OK, just a little shaken and very tired. but I didn't feel right letting him go to sleep, knowing that concussed people are supposed to stay awake so I started freaking out again. We called the pediatrician on call and we were told that because he cried right away and didn't vomit, he'd be OK, and he could sleep. But the nurse could hear in my voice how upset and worried I was so she said she would call back throughout the day to check on Jacob. An hour later right before the phone rang, Jacob vomited and the nurse said to us "Don't panic but please get to the closest ER as soon as possible" So of course I panic!!!
I got Jacob to the ER and the nurses there didn't seem concerned at all which was annoying as all hell. They got some vital signs and put us in a room. Jacob was still sleepy but eventually started coming around and acting more like himself. I fed him and THEN the doctor finally came in after an hour or so. She apologized for the wait but let me know she was "monitoring" Jacob. She said once a head trauma patient starts vomiting they don't stop and they go down hill fast. At this point Jacob was doing some serious flirting with her so she knew he was all right and he was able to keep down the bottle he had in the ER so we were discharged. But I was told to still keep a close eye on him and bring him back if anything changed.
I am so thankful he is OK. Like I said it really only ever takes a second people, so hopefully if you're reading you'll remember to just always keep a good watch on your little ones, especially if they think they can fly like Jacob ;)

2 comments:

  1. First off LOVE the pjs. Then holy crap, I would have been a mess right there with ya. Glad that he is all okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't tell many people because I felt like SUCH a bad mom. I left Matthew on the couch on his tummy. He was sleeping. He wiggled his way off! Thank goodness we have plush carpet. I just kept an eye on him for concussion and cried about being a bad mommy. :-( So I can SO understand!!

    ReplyDelete