Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bye Bye Binky

Last week I took Jacob's most prized possession away. His binky is gone. It had become a game at bedtime to throw his binky out of his crib and wait for mom and dad to give it back until he tired himself out. So last Saturday night  instead of giving it back I just tucked him back in and amazingly he went to sleep without the binky. The following day I was nervous to see how naptime would go without it, but amazingly he went right to sleep...same for that night! I was uber excited! I definitely didn't think it would be so easy to get Jacob to give up his binky that he was so attached to...and by Monday I was right. For naptime he cried for 45 minutes and he wouldn't settle for bed, he didn't cry, he just talked and jumped and talked some more! That seems to be the norm now. Some days he will go down for a nap with no problem some days there are tears, but every night he talks himself to sleep which I guess is better than crying or still playing games.
We are realizing that the binky really did help soothe and relax him to help him settle and fall asleep. But we can't go back now! Even as much as I want too!!! Aside from the fact that he is taking longer to settle, he is no longer *knock on wood* waking in the middle of the night crying because he can't find his binky. And thanks to day light savings time now he is sleeping until quarter to eight! Ah-mazing!! & even better that dreaded giving up the binky debacle is over and done with.
My baby is becoming a big kid. Just look at him...

1 comment: