Jacob started his EI services this week, his "teacher" Miss Jenn comes to the house for about an hour once a week and he goes to a group class at their offices for two hours on Fridays.
He worked well with Miss Jenn at home, right now she is just letting him get used to her and she's getting to know him so there isn't too much going on. We are working on teaching Jacob to sign just a couple words at a time so we don't overwhelm him, and he has "more" down pat especially when there is food involved!
Group on Friday didn't go so well, at first it was great and I felt like maybe he didn't even need to be there because compared to the other kids Jacob was doing so well. But the main focus of the group is helping kids learn to transition from one activity to the next and that's where Jacob lost his mind and no longer wanted to participate. It wasn't that he kept wanting to play when it was time to sing in a circle he was just wanted to leave all together. It was a hard morning.
But Jacob has never been in a group/structured setting before, being that I stay at home with Jacob most of the time his play is self-directed and I just follow his lead, so it was all very new for him. His teachers said it usually takes about a month for a child to adjust. So I am hopeful to see how Jacob progresses. & I am thankful for all of these services, I could only imagine how it would have been if we just tried to throw him into day care or preschool, it would have been miserable for us all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment