Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jacob's Heart

We had Jacob's appointment with the cardiologist today. It wasn't the same doctor RaeAnn saw, though he was from the same practice. & we ended up interacting more with his nurse practitioner who was just wonderful, the actual cardiologist came in just to introduce himself and "double check" what the NP heard...and she did hear a murmur. I was really hoping that they weren't going to hear anything and that they were just going to tell us that our pediatrician was hearing things - no such luck.
The NP  said it sounded "innocent" but diagnosed it as PPS, Peripheral Pulmonary Stenosis, and told us that it was a common cause of murmurs in infants and that 70% will grow out of it by 8 months. However when I looked up PPS on Boston Children's website, it sounded a lot more worrisome than they made it seem in the office, which concerns me. Also most everything else I read said in most children it is heard at birth and they outgrow it by 2 months old...no one heard Jake's until he was 2 months old :/ I promise I really am trying to not consult "Dr. Google" but it is hard!!!
His care plan right now is to be rechecked in about 4-6 months with the hopes that they will no longer hear the murmur, however if they do it will lead to further testing. The NP said not to treat Jacob any differently and that he doesn't have any restrictions on activity, not that he is doing much just yet ;)
Thankfully since he is an infant he'll have some check-ups with his pediatrician between then and now so she'll be able to keep a close eye on him before we have to go back to the cardiologist, which will helpfully keep me calm about the whole situation.

So all we can do it continue to pray that everything will be OK with Jacob's heart, that he will be part of the 70%  - He'll be 8 months old the week before Christmas - I know exactly what I am asking Santa for this year!!!


After his appointment we took the kiddos to The Willows...
Thurman won RaeAnn 1,000 tickets
& Jacob saw the Ocean for the first time
Overall it was a good day we are very thankful for  ♥

I also blogged about his first 4th of July earlier today, check it out in my previous post :)

1 comment:

  1. Prayers for Jacob still, God took care of RaeAnn He can take care of Jacob's heart :-)

    ReplyDelete