For the past 2 years I have been dealing with pains in the heels of my feet. When I went in for a scheduled check up back in Sept 2010 I mentioned it to my doctor but I was roughly 7 weeks pregnant so she couldn't order xrays to make a formal diagnosis and the pain wasn't too bad so she told me to wear a more supportive shoe and come back after the baby was born. That sounded reasonable to me since i didn't plan on exercising too heavily during the pregnancy...but then I miscarried and my non-reproductive health took a back burner to my ttc obsession.
But apparently barefoot & pregnant [in the kitchen] is not a good combo for already damaged feet!! Finally getting pregnant was the worst thing that could
happen for my feet. All those wonderful pregnancy hormones that got my
body prepared for birth also had an effect on my feet. Not too
mention the extra 30 lbs I was lugging around didn't help the matter!
Shortly after Jacob was born my feet finally gave up on me. I was at the point where I could barely walk in the mornings because the pain is so bad. & I knew it was finally time to get those xrays!!
Last week, I had an appointment with my new favorite doctor, the podiatrist. She diagnosed me with plan.tar fasci.itis and let me know that because I let it go for so long it will never be cured, the goal is only pain management...obviously in hindsight I wish I had taken care of it after I first miscarried. But someone mentioned I might end up needing surgery (which was not true) and I just didn't have time for anymore surgeries.
The podiatrist also let me know I can plan on not running for at least the rest of the year. Running was the only way I was able to exercise and see results ...I tried the bike before and the elliptical when I was nursing some shin splints, but I just wasn't feeling the burn and the scale was not moving. Running got the job done. Now I am only allowed on the bike or in the pool, even just taking the baby for walks isn't recommended...This isn't very good news especially after I recently noticed the scale starting going back up on me :/
But I refuse to let an injury be my excuse. I told the doctor, bottom line, I want to be able to run again and I will do whatever it takes to get back to that point. So she set me up with then set me up with 6 weeks of physical therapy, $100 inserts for my shoes, and a round of cortisone shots, with a possible second round in 3 weeks.
So far the shots are already working!! I can actually walk in the mornings and it is wonderful. By the end of the day the pain starts coming back but not even close to the level of pain I was experiencing before. So I am looking forward to physical therapy for some more relief. The schedule is going to be tough though since it is hard to find a sitter for the kids during the day, but I am going to figure something out. I want this taken care of ASAP! It has waited long enough.
Robert has the same thing! Invest in some Nike shocks and/or crocs sandals or skechers sandals (all have great heel cushions and arch support) and before you get out of bed in the morning stretch your get and roll your arches over a frozen water bottle! Oh and naproxen aka aleve is your best friend!
ReplyDelete