Thursday, May 24, 2012

good news/great check-up


I forgot to share the wonderful news that one more worry of mine has been taken care of! Jacob was approved by Thurman's base commander to see a civilian pediatrician so he will be able to go to the same office that we take RaeAnn to (we were lucky enough to get her into the civilian office via an insurance loophole when Thurman was stationed in Turkey) I couldn't be happier! I absolutely LOVE RaeAnn's pediatrician and while I know the base doctors would take good care of us too, Dr. H is just the best ever, I've never been more confident in a doctor (well besides my OB who delivered Jacob) and she doesn't make me feel stupid or crazy when I ask her a question or tell her my concerns. & she is extra cautious when needed, she doesn't take the "wait and see approach" she gets answers as soon as possible.
I never realized how important that patient/doctor relationship is, even after having been"in" the medical field. I never had a choice before. I went from being a kid and seeing whoever my mom chose to being in the AF where they assign you a doctor and there is way too much paper work to try and change it.
When RaeAnn and I moved to MA we technically were not assigned to a base since Thurman was overseas and we were given free reign to see who we wanted (so long as they accepted our insurance) and we were referred to her pediatrician's office by wonderful recommendations from my sister and local friends. Ever since we have been spoiled by being able to find the best and not having to settle. In fact now I demand it and I have gone to battle with our insurance company to make sure we get the best referrals...I don't mess around with my kids health care!! (& living 20 miles away from some of the best [if not THE best]hospitals in the country there is no reason we should be referred anywhere else!)
Now if we move to a new base in the future (always a possibility) we will probably be back to having to stick with the base doctors....but we will just deal with that if and when we have to, for now we'll just enjoy our excellent medical care!
It is so nice for everything to be working out and the military to be cooperating with US for a change instead vice versa! (hopefully I didn't just jinx it!!)

This post was just supposed to be a  quick update about Jake's one month check up and turned into a rant about healthcare -oops!! So before I forget, here is the update from his appt too :)
He is 13.1 lbs and 24 1/4 " long! He had his second Hep B shot and the rest of the appt was fairly routine. All my questions and concerns were answered. The Doctor said you can just look at Jacob and know you don't need to worry about him because he is a very healthy baby - & that makes me a happy momma!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment