Friday, June 22, 2012

a prayer request...

...not the title I thought I have for Jacob's two month check-up :/ I'll start with the fun stuff though, his stats - He is officially 15 1/2 lbs and 26.2 inches. He is in the 99% for weight and 100% for height, that means no other 2 month old is as tall as him! So it shouldn't surprise anyone when I tell you his 6 month footie pajamas are already getting snug!! Good thing I have so many coupons for Koh's and Carters!! If he keeps growing at this rate he is going to be in 12-18 months by Christmas! possibly Halloween!
However being so big and growing so fast might not be the best thing...
I'm going to resort to bullet pointing again to get it all out as simply as possibly...
- Jacob's doctor heard a "soft" heart murmur during his check-up 
- The reason she is concerned is because it has not been heard/documented by anyone up until now
- she kept referring to is as"Transitional" explaining that all babies heart's/lung need to transition from being in the womb to working in the real world. Some babies take longer and some develop heart murmurs (I'm pretty sure that is how she explained it, it is becoming a great big blur...)
- She said the location she heard it was not "too concerning"

BUT
- She said it could possibly be his heart valves are not growing as quickly as he is & I think this is what she is afraid of and is worst case scenario. She put in a referral for Jacob to see a cardiologist. But I read online (I tried not to I swear!!) that its something that could all work out on it's own as well.

 - one bit of positive/reassuring news is when it is a very serious problem, babies usually have a hard time gaining weight and meeting milestones, they call it "failure to thrive" - Jacob obviously is gaining weight and growing as he should be and then some I think this might be a catch 22 situation.

- Dr. H also made it clear that she is overly cautious when listening for heart murmurs and arrhythmias which I am thankful for, but I hope we are not worrying for nothing.

So now we wait for our insurance to put through the referral and for the very busy pediatric cardiologist to get us in for an appointment - another reassuring point, Dr. H said this was not emergent - however as his mom I want this taken care of/diagnosed ASAP! (with RaeAnn's arrhythmia she had us at the hospital within an hour getting an EKG so she must not be as concerned with Jacob which reassures me a teeny bit)

I thought after RaeAnn got a clean bill of health from the cardiologist last year we'd be lucky enough to never have to go back and it hurts my heart that we have to...but of course I have already been on the phone with my insurance company to get Jacob in to see the same cardiologist as RaeAnn. & I hate that I feel this prepared to deal with it all - that I know to make sure we get in to see the right doctors because we went through all this with RaeAnn. I just want my babies to be healthy ♥

I know murmurs are very common in young babies so I am trying not to overreact but I am sure all you mommas out there understand, when it's your baby and you hear something might be wrong with their heart, you panic just a bit! So I am saying extra prayers and asking for prayers for Jacob's health that this is just a common murmur and he only ever has to meet the cardiologist this one time, that he will continue to grow and thrive and smile and giggle and bring joy to our lives! ♥

4 comments:

  1. I'm saying an extra prayer for Jacob and your family. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You little guy's 2 month stats are pretty much my little guy's 4 month stats! Jacob is growing! Praying :)

    Also, love the new blog name... I'm not sure when you change it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any update on little man? I have been cruddy at commenting lately, but I promise I am reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have an appt scheduled for next week, just waiting for our insurance to approve it!

    ReplyDelete