I'd been wanting a new tattoo for a while now. I already have two, a caduceus on my lower back I got when I was 18 during my military medical training. & the word "Love" on my ankle with a ladybug and shamrock I got for my parents when I was 19 or 20. Now finally 10 years later and 3 years of planning I was able to commit to a design I wouldn't regret! (not that I regret my two others)
3 years ago is when I first heard the FDR quote "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." At the time Thurman was stationed in Turkey and he was struggling with his job and on the verge of losing it. It was a very stressful time for our family the uncertainty of our financial future had us both "at the end of our ropes" but we hung on and Thurman really pulled through and it all worked out. For the better even.
Fast forward 18 months or so to when we were struggling to get pregnant and I came upon the quote again. We hung on for dear life and we successfully had Jacob.
& another 18 months to now through our most recent struggle...
It was finally time to permanently represent this idea on my body. To me it means not giving yourself the option of giving up. Staying strong and determined and commited. The tattoo artist commended me on deciding to get the knot as a symbol instead of the quote (which was never an option really) but she said "no one will ever read you, trust me" which I thought was funny. I considered getting an R and J somehow intergrated into the design because they are my knot. They are my reason for never giving up whether it's in school, with my marriage, anything. They are the reason for it all. In the end though I decided just the knot. & I even researched what type of knot to get. A figure eight knot is a stopper not, a knot commonly used at the end of a rope and it has the highest effeciency - lots of planning I tell you! ( and googling!)
I have plans for at least two more by the end of this year and then I'll probably done for good.
I realized this time around, I'm too old for this kind of stuff!!

Love it!
ReplyDelete