Monday, April 30, 2012

When RaeAnn met Jacob

RaeAnn was very excited when I went to the hospital for my induction, I told her I would see her by dinner time and Jacob would be here too. We had made plans with my mom for her to take RaeAnn for us and since the weather was unseasonably warm for New England in the middle of April, they spent the day at the beach and eating lots of junk food!!
I unfortunately had to call RaeAnn at dinner time and tell her that she was going to have to wait until the next day to meet Jacob because things were taking longer than planned and she was actually OK with that. I was certain she was going to start crying when I told her my mom would have to put her to bed but thankfully she said she didn't mind. My mom then told me RaeAnn was sitting patiently on the couch with the little rattle she had picked out to bring Jacob at the hospital which kinda broke my heart and made me miss her so much!
Fast forward through 6 more hours of labor & Jacob is born and taken to the NICU and his nurse tells us that due to RSV season young siblings would not be able to visit. My heart was crushed. RaeAnn had already waited all day Tuesday, now he was really here and she couldn't even see him.
They told us he would be out by 12, so we came up with the plan that Thurman would go home get some sleep, then wake up and bring RaeAnn up around 10 so she could spend some time with me before Jacob was released...
Jacob's low blood sugar ruined that plan and his discharge from the NICU was pushed back until 2. Thurman and RaeAnn were already at the hospital by then though, but we kept RaeAnn occupied with a brand new LeapPad! (such a lucky spoiled big sister!!)
2 o'clock came and went...RaeAnn started getting antsy and so did Thurman and I, Jacob was doing great and the nurse said everything was fine but we were stuck in limbo waiting on the doctor to write the official order. Finally after 3pm shift change, the afternoon nurse called my room and said Jacob was finally ready. Thurman and RaeAnn waited patiently at the door to the NICU so she could see him before he had to go to the regular nursery for the nurse to give report. While waiting at the door a very nice lady noticed them and escorted them into the NICU...apparently RSV season had ended 3 days earlier and our nurses and doctors had been misinformed!!! RaeAnn could have come into the NICU as soon as she got to the hospital that morning!!! Thurman and I were frustrated but we put all those feelings aside, helped RaeAnn wash her hands and introduced her to her baby brother...
RaeAnn meet Jacob....

she hasn't stopped smothering him in kisses since!

one very proud big sister!

It was one of the most emotional moments of my life. Tears are in my eyes just thinking about it...Jacob had just gotten his 1st HEP B shot and was a little cranky I was trying to get him to relax when RaeAnn started singing the alphabet to him, just one of many songs she would sing to him when he was in my belly....instantly Jacob stopped crying and he calmed down and listened to his sister. It was the most amazing moment. Everyone was crying happy tears...even RaeAnn...even the nurses! RaeAnn was just as much affected by our journey to Jacob as we were and she was just so thankful to have her brother finally here.
RaeAnn singing to Jacob

holding hands  ♥

helping the nurse wheel Jacob out of the NICU
One night this past week RaeAnn was stalling before bed and she called from her room "Mom, I'm sorry I got out of bed" I went in to tuck her back in and she told me the reason she got out of bed was to look out her window and thank her wishing star for her brother... seriously. cue the waterworks, i don't think RaeAnn is aware of how very emotional postpartum woman are....she just melted my heart!! Not only because she is thankful for her brother, but she felt it necessary to thank the stars for him.
Just another amazing moment that I am so thankful for. & I look out my window at night straight up to heaven and thank Him for the both of them, for my husband, and the wonderful life He has blessed me with ♥

1 comment:

  1. Oh cue the waterworks on this end as well. You have tears a rolling down my cheaks. How precious.
    ♥ thinking and praying for you Jilly! =)

    Jacob is so beautiful. He is a perfect little blessing. RaeAnn is smart to thank a star for him.

    ReplyDelete