It's easy to forget sometimes that Thurman is on active duty...his assignment here is much more laid back than his passed two assignments. His schedule has been pretty flexible to say the least ever since he moved to the back office. & I have been enjoying the benefits, the # 1 being able to finally go back to school. But earlier this week his boss dropped a bomb on us and informed Thurman the schedule would be changing, no longer is he working eight hour shifts, but 12's and he won't be home until 7 and that they will try to work with Thurman so I can go to school, but there was nothing they could really do.
I was beyond pissed, I have a M-W class from 4-5, a Tuesday class from 630-9, and a Wednesday class from 7-10...I need Thurman home WAY before 7 and especially after the baby is born! It's one thing to ask my 19 year old sister to watch RaeAnn for me for a little bit until Thurman gets home, but to ask her to watch RaeAnn and a newborn...that's a bit much....I feel guilty enough expecting Thurman to be handle both kids by himself 3 nights a week let alone my baby sister! ( I'm not trying to downplay how awesome of a Dad Thurman is, but I hear going from 1 to 2 is a big deal, I don't even know how I am going to handle the kids!!)
I was really freaking out about this change and like I said pretty pissed, if we couldn't figure out how to make it work, I was going to have to drop out of this whole semester, not only losing my benefits, but having to pay for the classes out of pocket!
Before I even signed up for classes Thurman made sure to get the OK from his boss to work around my school schedule this semester, but his boss didn't for see two of his troops getting orders and another deploying for 6 months in April, they are very undermanned at the moment and their only option is to pull everyone from the back office to go back to shift work. I know this is military life...I dealt with it myself for 4 years before marrying Thurman, but it's the part of military life that I absolutely loath...you figure out how to make your schedule work around the military, which comes with MANY sacrifices, you make compromises, you accept it and then BAM! they change it and there is nothing you can do about it except make more compromises and adapt.
Thankfully Thurman currently has an amazingly kind boss who is willing to help us out on Wednesday's and thankfully my mom lives up the street and she is more than willing to help us out so she'll come hang out with the kids on Tuesday so I can get to school on time and Thurman will be home shortly after. Monday is kind of up in the air, it's only an hour class and I think if I had to skip it a couple of times my teacher would understand, he is the one who said I could complete the class online if need be. So I am keeping my fingers crossed this will all work out. Having a baby with a month left in the semester is going to be stressful enough as it is, now we have deal with all this....
& as much as I bitch about school (i.e my crappy accounting teacher and the stupid papers I have to write) I really love going... the feeling of accomplishment I get with each assignment I turn in and each test I ace is a good boost for my suppressed SAHM ego. I am very proud of my decision to continue with school through this pregnancy... and pray that my support system holds up after the baby is born so I can finish this semester. I'm a pretty determined girl and I will not be willing to quit very easily!!
Now if I will be able to return in the fall or not will be a whole different story :/
No comments:
Post a Comment