Wednesday, July 6, 2011

day 16: dream house

When I was a kid I remember talking with my friends about how cool my house would be when I grow up, just imagine Preston's house in the early 90's movie "Blank Check" that was my dream house!! Complete with a slide that led from my bedroom to my swimming pool :)

Now at 27, my dream is a little more practical! If this house was in a better location It would be my "dream house"
( It is currently on the busiest street in town.)This picture doesn't even do it justice! I took it quick with my cell phone as I drove by! I didn't want to freak out the owners and stand on the sidewalk and take a picture!! I don't know what the inside looks like but the outside is enough for me. It is perfect!
Really though, I just want a place with "roots" a home where we can measure our kids on the door frame and not have it deducted from our deposit! A place with a great backyard so we can have our families over for BBQ's and it would be even better if it had an "in-law" apartment over the garage. (if you know me you know why this is important! LOL)
Being a military family we don't know if we will be here for just another couple of years or possibly the rest of Thurman's career so we don't really want to commit to anything since in this housing market it would be hard to sell if we got orders. Plus this may sound pretty silly but I am not ready for such a big responsibility! I love living in an apartment, having 24/7 maintenance on call to fix any problems that may arise, not having to mow the lawn, or shovel a driveway, that's the life! Sure our upstairs neighbors are kind of annoying and we could use a little bit more space (especially if we are blessed with another baby) but as of right now the pros out way the cons for us!

It blows my mind how many of my friends are homeowners. It makes me feel like I missed a step somewhere, am I supposed to want to be a homeowner by now? I know everyone now-a-days do things in the order that works for them, but I constantly find myself doubting (but never regretting!) my order of things. When all my friends were graduating college and I was separating from the Air Force with nothing to show for it, I felt like a loser. And then when everyone was thinking about graduate school, I was getting pregnant. It wasn't until a friend of mine confided to me that she doubted her path and she wished it was her that was having a baby instead of getting her masters that I realized there is no correct order in life anymore! Everyone skips a step somewhere!!
So eventually we'll own a home, maybe even my "dream home"...but not until we are good & ready and settled down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment